Is an eatingdisorder without a name in a way. Basically, the formal diagnosis of"Eating Disorder Not Otherwise Specified" is a way to categorize andeating disorder that doesn't exactly fit the parameters of anorexia or bulimia.It is a very broad category, because it may can mean many things:
- A female who meets all other criteria foranorexia but continues to have regular menstrual periods.
- A person who regularly binges WITHOUTengaging in inappropriate compensatory behaviors such as purging (also known asbinge eating disorder).
- Someone who binges and purges but doesnot meet the frequency or duration requirements for a diagnosis of bulimia
- Someone who regularly purges after eatingregular amounts of food, but is not yet "clinically underweight".
- Someone who regularly chews food andspits it out without swallowing, but does not meet the criteria for eitherbulimia or anorexia.
Often, peoplecategorized as having ED-NOS are basically anorexic or bulimic, but cannot beclassified as such because of a technicality.