...actually, I don't know that she is. But I figure she is.

I had a really good friend "Kitty" as a freshman in high school, but haven't spoken with Kitty much in the past few years. A few months ago, a mutual friend told me Kitty had been hospitalised a couple times because of an eating disorder, and gave me Kitty's cell phone number to get in touch with her again. Kitty was always very thin, I'd wondered if she had an ED. Now that seems to be the case. But what do I do now?

I haven't called Kitty yet. It freaks me out.

I don't know how to act or what to say if I see/talk to her again. I don't know how to be supportive. I'm sure other people tell her stuff like "you need to eat, you need to get better," but I couldn't say stuff like that to her. I'd feel hypocritical when I'm scared of eating and I want to be underweight myself.

Also, I'm not sure I could handle her possible effect on me. I'd be jealous of how skinny she is, I really would. I'd just get angry at myself for everything I eat and for being so fat, and all that stuff.

But I'm really concerned about her. I feel like such a horrible person for not even trying to be there for her. I don't cry very often anymore, I think the bulimia helps regulate my mood, but thinking about Kitty makes me cry. It's been tearing me up inside for months, you have no idea. I'm so horrible, what kind of a friend am I? Why do I get fucked up about food so I can't even help my friends?

Should I call Kitty, even though I'm scared it'll make things worse for her or me? I want to help her, I want to talk to her, BUT I CAN'T

Any advice or comments or anything?